Thursday, December 11, 2008

Buried treasure


Everybody loves buried treasure. Everybody wants to find it but few want to actually get their hands dirty, crack their nails, ruin that lovely pair of slacks and maybe get a little sweaty.
That what it takes to find treasure. Treasure in relationships, treasure in your destiny even treasure in yourself.

I have been digging, digging and shoveling and sweating to find my purpose and my destiny. Now I understand that finding your destiny and our purpose are like finding a rainbow. One just needs it on the horizon to know which direction to start heading for. As soon as you get close, it changes or disappears and there you are finding yourself sitting on a rock lost and searching again.

My life is like this. I started my life in nursing. I thought this was my life's purpose. So I dug and sweated and mastered every challenge and worked very hard, joined committees, set policy only to find my self lost and redirected. I did find bits of treasure along the way and loved many aspects of that job. I was sad when redirected. But I was pushed a different direction. So I worked on my art, mastered every challenge, taught classes, made friends, climbed that clumsy ole ladder to find my self here again. My favorite rock. Now Nursing again....
I was sad. I thought art was "it" for me.

As I sit on this rock, waiting for the appearance of that rainbow to show me which way to go, I find myself wondering that maybe I haven't been wrong before. That these small journeys are the small treasure I was meant to find. So instead of being sad that my art career ended I should be ecstatic that I was able and had the opportunity to pursue it as long as I did.

Now with bated breath, I wait to see where the great almighty will send me next. I have a wonderful opportunity at a very large medical facility to use all my skills. Teaching and Nursing and even some creativity...Go figure. I am guessing that this treasure may be bigger than the last...

So, if you find yourself on a rock looking at those storm clouds and braving the rain make yourself comfortable. Write your name on the rock, reflect and know the terrain, maybe find a cave close by to recover and heal and prepare for the next journey... So if you ever find yourself there again its not so scary and not so frightening.

I keep getting glimpses of the rainbow it the same place but it hasn't been clear or steady enough for me to be sure of what I saw. So I am hanging out at my cave (my newly cleaned and organized office) waiting for that big bright one. The kind of rainbow that stretches from one edge of the earth, to the heavens, then down to touch the horizon again.

I know they exist... I've seen it before...

2 comments:

Dancing B*a*g Lady said...

I know, you feel like Dora in Finding Nemo. The treasure is inside us and it started to get buried as soon as we are born.

The findings are in the being between the doing.

Do be, do be, do be.

Decor To Adore said...

Hi I posted your wonderful swap on my blog today. Thank you so much!